Monday, October 15, 2007

Munni Begum Concert, 20 October, 2007, Minneapolis

Jashn-e-Milan featuring Munni Begum
Host: Pakistani Students Association

Time and Place Date: Saturday, October 20, 2007

Time: 7:30pm - 11:00pm

Location: Great Hall (Coffman Memorial Union), University of Minnesota, Minneapolis Campus (East Bank)
Street: 300 Washington Avenue SE
City/Town: Minneapolis, MN

Come join us for a night of amazing ghazals performed by the world-renowned Munni Begum!
There will also be student performances, great food, and much more!

Non-Student Adults: $20
Students and Kids under 12: Free!!!

3 comments:

Khalid said...

How was the concert? Wish I was there.

ahmedn8 said...

The concert was pretty nice. Started late - typical of a desi function (-: . 100-150 people, mostly an older crowd. Munni Begum received a lot of requests for her well known standards and she delivered them with great verve. The crowd was really into the music.

Some nice snacks (samosas and chutney) and pretty decent tea (!) sold by the PSA were nice addenda.

Todd Melby recorded a radio interview with Munnni Begum and also spoke with some of the audience. I believe his report will be broadcast on WBEZ Chicago and other public radio stations later this week. You can search under his name on the Internet too.

I am sure you would have enjoyed the concert.

Anonymous said...

I know what you mean about desi functions starting late. I certainly would have enjoyed the concert because I find Ms Begum's Ghazzals and her voice very captivating. Oddly, I only got to know about Ms Begum in the last six months.

I used to live in Rockford IL, but now I reside in England so it is not easy for me to attend any of her concerts. Is it possible to get an email or contact number so I can pass on my compliments to Ms Begum for her wonderful contribution to Ghazzals? Or even if you could forward this on my behalf, I would appreciate it.

Salaam and Dua
Khalid
kmmalik@blueyonder.co.uk
P.S. I too belong to the older crowd :-))